The Irish Corporate Law Forum (ICLF) has just announced details of its inaugural conference, Transitioning to the New Form Private Company Limited by Shares: Structure and Governance under the Companies Bill, to be held on Thursday 21 July 2011 in the wonderful surroundings of the Coach House, Dublin Castle.
On 30 May 2011, the 952 sections of Parts 1-15 of the long-awaited draft Companies Bill were published by the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation. This Bill will implement recommendations of the Company Law Review Group to consolidate, modernise and reform company law in Ireland and represents the culmination of more than a decade of policy review of Irish company law. The legislation will have a significant impact on company structure and governance and is of particular relevance to directors, company secretaries, legal advisors, accountants and company formation agents.
This important conference will address key structural and governance implications for private companies including the replacement of the existing private company form with the new company limited by shares with unlimited corporate capacity and a single constitution replacing the current memorandum and articles of association. The conference will also address new procedures designed to simplify corporate governance and the implications of the Bill on the role and duties of directors and company secretaries. The full Conference Programme is here (.doc) and the Registration Form is here (.doc). Speakers include
- Dr Deirdre Ahern, Director of the Irish Corporate Law Forum and Lecturer in Law, Trinity College Dublin;
- Nessa Cahill BL, author of Company Law Compliance and Enforcement (Tottel Publishing, 2008);
- Helen Dixon, Registrar at the Companies Registration Office;
- Gordon Duffy BL, formerly lecturer in law at DCU and national examiner for company law for the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland (now Chartered Accountants Ireland);
- Paul Egan, Partner and Chairman of the Corporate Department in Mason Hayes+Curran, and a member of the Company Law Review Group;
- Sinead Kelly, Associate and Professional Support Lawyer in the corporate and insolvency Departments at A&L Goodbody;
- Colm McDonnell, Partner in the Enterprise Risk Services division of Deloitte;
- David Mangan, Senior Associate at Mason Hayes+Curran;
- Deirdre Mooney, Associate and Head of Company Secretarial at William Fry;
- Declan Murphy BL, represents the Bar Council on the Company Law Review Group;
- Dr Ailbhe O’Neill BL, author of The Constitutional Rights of Companies (Round Hall, 2007) and co-editor of Corporate Governance and Regulation: An Irish Perspective (Round Hall, 2009);
- Aillil O’Reilly BL, member of the Drafting Committee of the Company Law Review Group.